Mr Saleem Janjua
Civil, Environmental & Chemical Eng
+(61 3) 9925 4140
Science, Engineering & Health
Saleem Janjua is the editor of AdaptNet, focusing on urban climate change adaptation information and research in Australia and the Asia-Pacific region.
- Doctoral Candidate, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- Master of Engineering Science (Environmental Engineering), University of Melbourne, Australia, 2004
- Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical Engineering), University of Engg. and Tech., Lahore, Pakistan, 1996
Professional interests/links to industry/additional information
- Member, Institution of Engineers, Australia
- Member, Pakistan Engineering Council, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers, USA
- Member, Civil and Environmental Engineering Society, Civil and Environmental Engineering Department, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Associate Member, Environmental Engineering Society, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Member, Thimmakka's Resources for Environmental Education, California, USA
- Member, Alliance for Sustainability, Minneapolis, USA
- Editor AdaptNet and Researcher, Climate Change Adaptation Programme, Global Cities Research Institute, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia (2006-Present)
- Environmental Specialist, United Nations Industrial Development Organization-UNIDO (2005-2006)
- District Officer (Environment), City District Government, Rawalpindi, Punjab, Pakistan (2001-2005)
- Assistant Director (Research/Field), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Punjab, Pakistan (1998-2001)
- Environment Health and Safety Officer, Crescent Greenwood Limited, Pindi Bhatian, Pakistan (1997-1998)
Saleem was a lecturer and tutor at the University of Engineering and Technology (UET), Lahore 2004 - 2005. He taught two courses:
- ‘Environmental Design' in which students were given direct experience solving a substantial and realistic environmental engineering design problem working in groups and as individuals
- ‘Environmental Management: Systems and Audits’, which included the philosophy and structure of ISO Standards in Environmental Management Systems.
Due to his practical and research work in the field of urban environmental management and policy, Saleem’s primary research interest is in the problems of global urban change from a social science perspective, with the objective of understanding societal responses to global change problems and adequacy of institutional arrangements for formulating, implementing and evaluating plans and policies. During his Doctoral research, Saleem is developing expertise in strategy development, scenario thinking and strategic innovation in relation to climate change adaptation. Within this realm, his current research interests have three inter-related foci: integration of urban climate change adaptation and development objectives in developing economies; policies for sustainable development; and urban environmental protection issues.
- Janjua, S. (2009) Climate change adaptation at the local government level: The case of Pakistan.
International Journal of Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability, vol 5, no. 3, pp. 61-71.
- Janjua, S. (2009) Climate change impacts: adaptation challenges for Pakistan.
International Journal of Climate Change: Impacts and Responses, vol 1, no. 4, pp. 1-15.
- Janjua, S. and Thomas, I. (2010 forthcoming) Opportunities for climate change adaptation learning at the urban local level: The case of Lahore, Pakistan.
- Janjua, S. and Thomas, I. (2010 forthcoming) Learning from experience: deriving lessons from the local level climate adaptation actions in three urban areas of Asia and Africa.
- Moore, G., and Janjua, S. (2010 forthcoming) Barriers to implementing wastewater pollution control strategies – The case of small to medium cotton textile sector of Pakistan.
Journal of Science, Technology and Development (accepted).
- Janjua, S., and Javed, M. (2006) Can we green our Punjab? A case study of Lahore where industrialization is at an early stage
Journal of Science, Technology and Development, vol 23, no. 4, pp. 1-7.
- Janjua, S. (2005) Managing domestic (rural and urban) water supply and sanitation.
Proceedings of the national workshop on water and sanitation and exposition 2004, Ministry of Environment, Government of Pakistan, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Janjua, S. (2005) Initial environmental examination of a metal - based industry – common facility center, Peshawar.
Proceedings of the conference on environmental impact assessment / initial environmental examination, Institute of Environmental Science and Engineering, National University of Science and Technology, Rawalpindi, Pakistan.
- Janjua, S. (2004) Fossil fuel consumption: environmental problems and possible solutions.
Proceeding of the National Workshop on Renewable Energy Sector, Ministry of Environment, Government of Pakistan, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Janjua, S. (2004) Life cycle assessment – paper towels vs. hot Air blowers.
Nineteenth International Conference on Solid Waste Technology and Management, Department of Civil Engineering, Widener University, PA, USA.
- Australian Development Scholarship, from the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) to study for a Master of Engineering Science (Environmental Engineering) in the University of Melbourne, Australia (2002-2004).
- Australian Postgraduate Award-APA, from the Commonwealth Government to carry out a Doctoral degree in RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia (2007-2010).
- NAATI (Australian National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters) "Professional Translator”