Statute 3.8 – Visiting Professors
The Council may appoint Visiting Professors on such terms and conditions as it may decide.
Normally a person appointed by the Council as a Visiting Professor will be a member of the teaching or research staff of another educational or research institute.
1. (a) An appointment as a Visiting Professor will not be made in the first instance for a period exceeding one year.
(b) The Council may extend an appointment as Visiting Professor provided that a person may not hold such appointment for a period of more than five consecutive years.
2. A Visiting Professor will be accorded the style, precedence and dignity of a Professor of the University.
3. Notwithstanding section 4, any person on whom the Council has conferred the title Visiting Professor will not thereby be a member of any University body nor eligible for election to the same, unless the membership of any University body provides that there may be co-opted members in which case a Visiting Professor may be co-opted as a member of such body.
4. (a) The Council may appoint such Visiting Associate Professors as it considers appropriate.
(b) For any appointment of a Visiting Associate Professor pursuant to sub-section (a) “Visiting Professor” in this Statute will be read as “Visiting Associate Professor”.
5. Regulations made under this Statute will come into effect when exhibited on the official University notice boards and will remain exhibited for a period of not less than fourteen days which period will not include official University holidays.[Next: Accountability]