How to apply for a research program
On this page:
- Application information for research programs
- Master by research programs
- Doctor of Philosophy programs
Application information for research programs
Applications for entry into research programs typically close in mid-October every year. Applications will be accepted after this time if there are places available in the desired program.
Before formally applying:
- Contact potential supervisors to discuss your proposed enrolment and interests. Refer to the staff research profiles for prospective academic supervisors.
- Contact the Postgraduate Research Coordinator in the discipline area or program area you are considering.
- Include a research proposal and/or folio with your application.
- Contact Architecture and Design HDR Administration, for further information.
International applicants only:
All international applicants are required to apply through RMIT International (opens in new window). Contact RMIT International for details and forms. International applicants also need to complete the School of Architecture and Design application for an offer of enrolment form and include a research proposal and/or folio. All application forms are to be submitted to RMIT International. Please nominate a preferred senior supervisor.
Local and Off-shore applicants only:
Complete the RMIT Postgraduate Research application form and include a research proposal and/or folio with your application and return to Research Admissions. Contact the School of Graduate Research for details and forms. Please nominate a preferred senior supervisor.
Master by research programs (by thesis or project)
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) research programs (by thesis or project)
PhD degrees offer the framework, the focus and the discipline necessary to conduct speculative inquiry. The exploration of new territories of inquiry, contributions to the knowledge base of the discipline, and steps towards the redefinition of aspects of that discipline are the province of the PhD.
PhDs undertaken in the School cover wide areas of design including products, architecture, landscape architecture, urbanism, installation art, curatorial practice, communication, interiors, fashion, auralisation, spatiality and sustainable systems.